Sunday, March 19, 2006

Adventure in Tatting

This had been a very unproductive week. I'm glad it went fast. It certainly wasn't uneventful though. There is so much out there to learn and I finally gave in and tackled tatting. I went to Michaels with my 40% off coupon and picked up the book "Learn Needle Tatting Step- by- Step" by Barbara Foster.

Thursday evening was spent playing with this. Just before bed I thought I had "got it". You will never guess what I woke up to on Friday morning. My dining room floor was "decorated" with my spool of dmc pearl cotton that I used for the tatting. Tatting still attached of course. Yup, that cute little innocent looking kitten must have been up all night playing!! This thread was so entwined with every chair and the table that I had to use sissors to cut it all off. I wanted to take a picture but of course my camera batteries were dead. Sorry I can't share this image but I know I will never forget it. And it's not the first time she has played with my threads either. Now she knows how to get them out of my hiding spaces. I'll have to put some pictures of my 4 legged babies. They are all an adventure in some way or another!

As for the tatting, last night I was able to make a butterfly and a medallion. It really isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I think my background in crochet and especially in crocheting with thin cotton thread has helped. Now I'm looking foward to making more.

Now I can get back to my block from Sharons class. I wanted to add some tatting to itand now I can. I have added more to the seams and am up to some silk ribbon embroidery. Hopefully my next post will have an updated picture of my block and it won't be too long from now!

No comments: