Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Cretan Stitch Sampler


Cretan Stitch Sampler
Originally uploaded by sewquilty.

I think this is the first time I have ever sat down and started and finished something in one evening! This is my Cretan stitch sampler. Cretan Stitch is for week 4 with Sharons TAST. I very rarely use this stitch as my brain just can't seem to grasp it. I have to have the directions in front of me and even then I have to do some frog stitching. However I do like the first row I've done here for CQ. It is great with the spacing to add sequins, beads etc.. and then the point going up or down is great for adding onto.
To do this sampler I had to pull out Elegant Stitches by Judith Baker Montano. I could have used any of a few other books I have but this one was the first that caught my eye. I'm so glad that I did. On page 50 is the directions for this stitch but on page 51 was directions for using the cretan stitch to make a leaf. I love the way these came out. I tried it with three different spacings. I have always used the fly stitch to make leaves. I'm going to try to make some more today both ways and compare them.

1 comment:

quiltpixie said...

laughed at having to check the instructions -- I did too, in the same book! My sample of the cretan when really fast in comparison to others too... wonder if some stitches are just more suited to "sitting at" :-)